Japan is the leader of innovation in Asia. Here, you will find detailed information about the filing procedures, routes and fees for Patent Filing in Japan.
Patent Filing in Japan – The Routes
If you want a patent in Japan, you may use the following options:
1. Direct Filing with the Japanese Intellectual Property Office (JPO)
- This route allows you to file a patent application with the Japanese Intellectual Property Office (JPO).
- If granted, the patent shall be valid in Japan only.
2. International Filing via Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT)
- With this option, you can file a single international application simultaneously in many countries.
- PCT has 152 Contracting States and is administered by the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO).
- However, the granting of a patent in Japan remains under the control of the JPO, i.e “national phase”.
3. International Filing via Paris Convention
- This option is similar to PCT. Hence, the Paris Convention allows simultaneous multi-country filing.
- Paris Convention has 177 Contracting States and is also administered by WIPO.
- However, the granting of a patent in Japan remains under the control of the JPO.
- The Paris convention offers a relatively faster route as compared to the PCT and it is more economical.
Patent Filing in Japan (JPO): Requirements
The complete set of documents must include the following information:
- Formal petition for grant of a patent
- Abstract of the invention
- Claim or claims to the invention
- Any drawings mentioned in the description
- A biological sequence listing, if applicable, in electronic format
- Appointment of a patent agent, when required (if you are not a permanent resident of Japan)
- All documents must be in Japanese, including the name and address of the applicant. You can file the application in any other language. However, you’ll have a time of 16 months from the date of filing or the priority date to submit a certified translation.
Filing Options (JPO)
You can file your application offline with the JPO or use the e-filing system.
You can mail your application at the following address:
Japan Patent Office
3-4-3, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8915, Japan
- You can file your application online through JPO’s E-filing Portal.
Patent Filing in Japan: Fees: Overview
|Type of Fees||Standard Fees|
|Application in foreign language||¥22,000|
|Entry into the national phase in Japan (under the PCT)||¥14,000|
|Application for registration of an extension of the term of the patent right||¥74,000|
To know more, visit the Schedule of Fees.