The inventions that cannot be patented in India are categorized as non-patentable subject matter. You can check Chapter II, Section 3 of the Indian Patents Act. Basically, it will tell you which inventions under the law are not patentable. These include:
- inventions being frivolous or contrary to public order, morality, public health, the environment, etc.
- scientific discoveries
- mere discoveries of new forms of known substances
- methods of agriculture or horticulture
- diagnostic, therapeutic and surgical methods for the treatment of humans or animals
- plants and animals other than micro-organisms
- mathematical or business methods or computer programs per se or algorithms
- literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work or any other aesthetic creation
- schemes, rules or methods of performing mental acts or methods of playing games
- presentations of information
- topography of integrated circuits
- traditional knowledge
Also, Inventions relating to atomic energy are not patentable either. This is the list of inventions that cannot be patented in India.
Also, do make sure that you check out this free e-book: A Quick Guide to Patents. Basically, it deals with basics of patent procedures.
Here you can Download our FREE Help Guides: