The protection of industrial designs should form an integral part of any business strategy. The main reasons to protect industrial designs are the following:
- Return on investments: Protection contributes to obtaining a return on investments made in creating and marketing attractive and innovative products.
- Exclusive rights: Protection provides exclusive rights for at least 10 years, so as to prevent or stop others from commercially exploiting or copying the industrial design.
- Strengthen brands: Industrial designs can be an important element of a company’s brand. Protecting industrial designs contributes to protecting a company’s brand.
- Opportunity to license or sell: Protection provides rights that may be sold or licensed to another enterprise, which will then be a source of income for the owner of the rights.
- Positive image: Protection helps convey a positive image of a company, since industrial designs are business assets which may increase the market value of a company and its products.
- Reward: Protecting industrial designs rewards and encourages creativity.