Protect your design and aesthetic creations.
Any aesthetic improvement or look of an object can be protected using a design patent. The Design Act of 2000 (last amended in 2014) covers industrial design rights that can help protect creative activity which results in an innovation in ornamental or formal appearance of a product or design.
Leverage the Power of Collaborative Patent Prosecution
Industrial Design Registration with YPT – Salient Features:
- YPT can help in filing & getting design protection on your creations.
- All rules/law/ forms are duly considered reducing any late payment charges.
- Professional Services. YPT is always frugal with client’s resources. Ethics is #1 priority for YPT and unlike many Indian firms, we will never misguide you for our own benefits.
The YPT Advantage:
- YPT has a team of seasoned professionals with sound know how of various IP rights applicable in India and give correct recommendation on choosing correct IPR(s).
- YPT has experience of working in numerous jurisdictions will ensure protection of each of the available IP rights globally with broadest protection and assist in developing global strategy.
- YPT has supported client over 45 countries, so have understating of global best practices.
- YPT provides End-to-End Packages (Fixed Cost from Filing till Decision) – leading to upto 70% cost savings.
Package Includes: Review of illustration provided by applicant; Preparing illustrations for filing with the application, Filing of Industrial Design application in India; Prosecution of Industrial Design application (optional); Filing and Prosecution of Industrial Design application in other jurisdictions (optional)
Get In Touch / Request Free Consultation
About Your Patent Team (YPT)
Your Patent Team (YPT) is an exclusive group of world leading technology/industry experts with deep understanding of global patent laws. YPT team of 125+ experts cover variety of tech areas including Pharmaceutical, Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical, Biotechnology, Electronics, Telecommunication, Software, Information Technology and more. YPT serves clients in over 45 countries and is one of the very few organizations who understand global IP best practices to the core. YPT utilizes this expertise to advise our clients to help them get world class advise and IP protection. Further, with vast global network and work volumes, YPT not only ensures that you get the strongest and broadest protection, but makes sure that you get at the optimum costs. Again, YPT is one of the only organizations in the world where work does not stop at clients getting the IP protection but where experts walk with the client till they are able to get returns from their IP protection. YPT is trusted alike by industry associations (like FICCI, PHD Chamber of Commerce, FISME, etc), Government Departments and Ministries (like Department of Science and Technology), Fortune 500 companies, SMEs, Universities, Start-ups, Foreign Law Firms, and Individual Inventors in India and abroad. We have presence in 90+ jurisdictions to help our clients get best protections worldwide.
Why Choose YPT?
- Your Patent Team (YPT) is an exclusive group of world leading patent attorneys who are technology/industry experts with deep understanding of global patent laws. YPT team of 125+ experts cover variety of tech areas including Pharmaceutical, Chemical, Mechanical, Electrical, Biotechnology, Electronics, Telecommunication, Software, Information Technology and more.
- YPT serves clients in over 45 countries and is one of the very few organizations from India who understand global patent best practices to the core. YPT utilizes this expertise to advise clients so they get world class advise and patent protection.
- With vast global network and work volumes, YPT not only ensures that you get the strongest and broadest patent protection globally, but makes sure that you get this at the optimum costs.
- YPT is one of the only organizations in the world where work does not stop at clients getting the patent protection. Here our business experts walk with the client till they are able to get monetary returns from their patent protection.
- YPT is trusted alike by industry associations (like FICCI, PHD Chamber of Commerce, FISME, etc), Government Departments and Ministries (like Department of Science and Technology), Fortune 500 companies, SMEs, Universities, Start-ups, Foreign Law Firms, and Individual Inventors in India and abroad. We have presence in 90+ jurisdictions to help our clients get best protections worldwide.
✓ 225+ Technology Experts : Covering Whole Range of Technical & Legal Subject Matters.
✓ Clients From 45+ Countries : Knowledge of Global IP Best Practices.
✓ Always on Client’s Side : Minimize Expenses – Maximize Return.
✓ Beyond Patents : Complete Handholding in Monetization.
More about Industrial Design Registrations
What is an industrial design?
In a legal sense, an industrial design constitutes the ornamental or aesthetic aspect of an article.
An industrial design may consist of three dimensional features, such as the shape of an article, or two dimensional features, such as patterns, lines or color.
What kind of protection does an industrial design right offer?
What kind of products can benefit from industrial design protection?
How are industrial designs protected?
Industrial design laws in some countries grant – without registration – time- and scope limited protection to so-called “unregistered industrial designs”.
Depending on the particular national law and the kind of design, industrial designs may also be protected as works of art under copyright law.
How long does industrial design protection last?
How are industrial design rights enforced?
What is the difference between an industrial design right and a patent?
What conditions must be met to obtain industrial design protection?
The assessment of novelty and originality varies from country to country. In general, an industrial design is considered to be new or novel if it has not previously been disclosed to the public and it may be considered original if it significantly differs from known designs or combinations of known design features.
Who grants industrial design registrations or design patents?
Do I need an agent to file an application?
How much does it cost to obtain industrial design protection?
Is the industrial design protection granted in one country valid in every country?
How can industrial design rights be obtained in other countries?
In general, in order to obtain protection in other countries, an application for the registration of an industrial design or for the grant of a patent for an industrial design must be filed in each country where protection is sought, in accordance with the law of that country. In other words, if protection is sought in countries A and B, an application should be filed with the intellectual property (IP) office of country A and another application with the IP office of country B.
To avoid having to submit applications in each and every country where protection is sought, WIPO’s Hague System provides a practical business solution for registering up to 100 designs in a large number of territories – all through one single international application. Find out more about the Hague System.
In certain regions, it is also possible to obtain protection for industrial designs in the region concerned by filing an application with a regional IP office. This is the case in the African Intellectual Property Organization (OAPI), which registers industrial designs in states party to the Bangui Agreement; the African Regional Intellectual Property Organization (ARIPO), which registers industrial designs in states party to the Lusaka Agreement; the Benelux Office for Intellectual Property (BOIP), which registers industrial designs in the three “Benelux” countries; and the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (trademarks and designs) (OHIM), which registers industrial designs in the member states of the European Union.
What practical steps do I have to take to obtain protection for my industrial design?
Alternatively WIPO’s Hague System for the International Registration of Industrial Designs provides a practical business solution for registering up to 100 designs in a large number of territories through filing one single international application. Find out more about the Hague System.
When should I file an application?
If the industrial design has already been disclosed to the public (for example, by an advertisement published on the company’s website), it may no longer be considered as “new” or “original” and may become part of the public domain. Some countries, however, allow for a “grace period” to file after disclosure of the industrial design. Such a period provides a safeguard for applicants who have disclosed their industrial design before filing an application. Such a “grace period” is usually 6 or 12 months.
How can I search for industrial designs that have already been registered?
How can I find the industrial design laws of various countries?
Many national or regional intellectual property offices also provide information concerning national or regional legislation on their websites. View a list of links to national and regional intellectual property offices to find out more.
How are industrial designs relevant to my business?
What are the advantages to my business of protecting my industrial designs?
- Return on investments: Protection contributes to obtaining a return on investments made in creating and marketing attractive and innovative products.
- Exclusive rights: Protection provides exclusive rights for at least 10 years, so as to prevent or stop others from commercially exploiting or copying the industrial design.
- Strengthen brands: Industrial designs can be an important element of a company’s brand. Protecting industrial designs contributes to protecting a company’s brand.
- Opportunity to license or sell: Protection provides rights that may be sold or licensed to another enterprise, which will then be a source of income for the owner of the rights.
- Positive image: Protection helps convey a positive image of a company, since industrial designs are business assets which may increase the market value of a company and its products.
- Reward: Protecting industrial designs rewards and encourages creativity.
What happens if I don’t protect my industrial design(s)?
So if a competitor or anyone else makes, sells or imports products bearing or embodying a design which is a copy (or substantially copy) of your industrial design without your consent, you will have no legal means to fight them. Moreover, it is likely that copies of the industrial design will be sold at a lower price as competitors do not have to recoup the investments made in the creative process. This could reduce your market share for the product in question and be harmful both to your firm’s reputation and to that of your products.
Can I file PCT applications electronically?
Mostly the PCT applications are filed electronically. It can be filed with receiving offices that accepts electronic applications. Filing a PCT application through the WIPO web service or the WIPO software enables you to prepare applications by simultaneously validating the entered data. It also helps you monitor your patent application on a timely basis for any related actions. Filing electronically also qualifies you for some reduction in fees for PCT.
Seasoned IP Attorneys | Design Patent Filing